If you have a small lawn or a medium-sized lawn, you need to get the best manual lawn mower that will help you keep your lawn in tip-top condition. These reel lawn mowers are affordable, simple, and very effective in maintaining your lawn as you want it.
We've done the research for you and get the best reel mowers in the market that come at an affordable price and will give you excellent service. So get ready to have a perfectly manicured lawn within no time and with less effort.
What Is A Manual Lawn Mower?
A manual lawn mower is designed for small and flat lawns. The manual part comes in because it takes physical effort to push the lawnmower. If you love getting a workout while making lawn mowing enjoyable, getting this type of lawnmower is a good idea.
One great advantage of these reel mowers is that they are super affordable compared to ride-on lawnmowers. You'll still get your lawn perfectly manicured within no time.
With a better idea of what reel mowers are all about, let's dive into the best reel mowers in the market.
Are manual mowers better?
Buy on Amazon
Which Is the Best Manual Lawn Mower?
1. Scotts Outdoor Power Tools Reel Lawn Mower
- Classic Scotts 20 inch push no-motor manual reel rotary lawn mower features 20" cutting width, 5-blade ball...
- Quick-snap 1"-3" cutting height adjustment for a clean, even cut every time with this Scotts classic hand push...
- Blades on the Scotts classic hand push reel rotary 20 inch lawn mower are made of quality, heat-treated alloy...
- Ergonomic handle with cushioned grip for comfort when using the Scotts 20 inch 5-blade manual hand push...
- Lightweight and easy to operate; This engine-free, no-motor, classic manual reel hand push lawn mower requires...
Kicking off our list is this Scotts outdoor 2000-20 mower that is an efficient option and will leave you smiling at your manicured lawn. With a 20-inch width cutting width, you'll be able to efficiently cover the area you want within the nick of time and without much effort on your part. So whether you have grass or grass and weeds, this push reel lawn mower will get the job done.
The health of your lawn will remain even after you're done cutting the grass. This is because this reel mower prevents any ripping or tearing of the grass. Once you get your purchase delivered, you'll have an easy time assembling this best reel mower.
You won't need any complex tools to assemble this best reel mower. The plant-conscious design plus the self-powered nature means that you'll be getting great value for your money. In addition, the precision blade technology is what allows you always to get clean cuts while mowing your lawn.
The blades will always spin thanks to the smooth ball bearings effectively. Everything about this reel mower screams efficiently. You can adjust this cutting height from one inch to 3 inches in a snap. You can find the lever for height adjustment near the rear wheels of this reel mower.
2. Great States 16-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- Manual mechanical mower with a quick, adjustable cutting height of 1"-2.5" for a clean and even
- Lightweight lawn mower has 16" cutting width, 5-blade ball bearing reel, and 10" composite wheels for optimal...
- Push blade mower with high-quality heat-treated alloy steel blades that stay sharp longer
- Comfortable push mower handle parts with a T-style cushioned grip; Easy, tool-less assembly
- Clean and quiet reel mower to maintain your lawn without the need for gas or oil
Our second pick is this best reel mower that gives you precise cutting action. Made to care about the health of your lawn, the heat-treated steel blades ensure that your grass is not susceptible to insect and disease attacks. These blades are also very durable and stay sharp for longer.
Thanks to the lightweight nature of these reel mowers, you can comfortably maneuver them around your lawn with ease. Because these reel mowers don't need gas or electricity to function, you can use them for as long as you want at a go. The T-style handle adds to the comfort and convenience of using these reel mowers.
This best manual lawn mower will last you a while, thanks to its resistance to environmental factors. Therefore, you'll get a durable and lightweight reel mower at a reasonable price. Also, thanks to the fact that this push reel lawn mower doesn't use any gas or electricity, it doesn't emit harmful gases into the atmosphere.
This Great States Push Reel Lawn Mower precisely cuts your grass without shredding it. This means that your lawn will remain healthy and strong even after the trim. You can store these best reel mowers in your garage or hand them on the wall.
3. American Lawn Mower Company Reel Lawn Mower
- 4-blade reel with a cutting width of 14” and durable 8.5” polymer wheels for maximum maneuverability
- Mechanical lawn mower with an adjustable blade height of 0.5”-1.75” with scissor action cut
- Manual grass cutter blades made of heat-treated alloy steel that stays sharp for years
- Environment-friendly alternative to gas-powered lawn mowers which is pollution-free and noise-free; Low...
- Capable of cutting grass up to 4 inches tall
Just like our two options above, this American Lawn Mower Company Reel Lawn Mower is lightweight and easy to use. This reel mower can cut grass that's up to 4 inches tall. The cushioned handle protects your hands and fingers and ensures you don't bruise them as you work with this American Lawn Mower Company, Reel Lawn Mower.
You should get this American Lawn Mower Company, Reel Lawn Mower if you have children who mow the lawn sometimes. You can comfortably carry it up the steps and store it away as desired, thanks to its lightweight nature. In addition, this safe-to-use American Lawn Mower Company Reel Lawn Mower is created from sturdy material, making it very durable.
You'll need to sharpen the blades after 3-5 years. But, in the end, you'll get an effective reel mower that doesn't need fuel to run, has sharp blades, is durable, and can be used by kids. What more do you want? This reel mower will deliver every time.
You can adjust the blades of this reel mower from 1 inch-1.75 inch. This is quite a flexible adjustable cutting height. Thanks to the even scissor action of this reel mower, your lawn will be left looking even better than before.
4. Great States 14-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- Quick, adjustable cutting Height of 0.5"-1.75" For a clean, even cut every time
- 14" Cutting width, 5-Blade ball bearing reel, and 8.5" Composite wheels
- Blades are made of quality, heat-treated alloy steel for staying sharp longer
- T-style handle with cushioned grip and lightweight design for comfort; easy, tool-less assembly
- Clean and quiet way to maintain your lawn; requires no gas or oil.Tire Type:Solid rubber
If you are an early riser or a night owl and like to mow your lawn during ungodly hours, you should consider this best manual lawn mower. Its quiet operation means that you won't wake up your neighbors with the noise of your activity once you get started. In addition, the reel mower blades on this baby give you great flexibility.
You can also effortlessly change the height of the blades from 0.5-1.75 inches for your convenience. The 5-blade ball-bearing reel and 8.5-inch composite wheels also add to the convenient design of this reel mower. The reel mower blades also stay sharper for longer thanks to their high-quality and heat-treated steel construction.
These reel mowers are very easy to assemble and easy to use. The cushioned handle will protect your hands. Great States Corporation works hard to create products like this to give you the best experience as you mow your lawn. In addition, the brand focuses on giving you maintenance-free reel mowers for your convenience. With about 125 years of experience in the field, you can be sure that you're getting the real deal.
5. Great States 18-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- The Great States motor-less lawnmower with an adjustable cutting height of 0.5"-2.75" for a clean, even cut
- 18" cutting width 5-blade manual push mower with 5-blade ball-bearings, and 10" composite wheels
- Push mower blades are made of high-quality alloy steel that stay sharp longer
- Loop-style lawnmower handle with cushioned grips for comfort and maneuverability; Easy to assemble without...
- Planet-friendly and quiet motorless lawn mower design that is low-maintenance
Another Great States original, this reel mower has an adjustable cutting height of 0.5-2.75 inches. This reel mower is designed to give you an even and clean cut. With a cutting width of 18 inches, you can comfortably use this manual reel mower on your small or middle-sized lawn. Unlike gas-powered lawnmowers, this best reel lawn mower does not emit poisonous gases.
The 10-inch composite wheels also make using these reel mowers a breeze. Another great thing about this manual reel mower is the loop-style handle that comes with a cushioned grip for your convenience.
Just like most reel lawn mowers on this list, this reel mower is low-maintenance and does not harm the environment in any way. You also don't need any special tools to assemble it. You can get it today and even start using it immediately.
6. Great States 204-14 Hand Reel Mower
- Small push lawn mower with 4-blade reel and 14" cutting width; 8.5" polymer wheels provide optimal...
- Manual push reel mower with an adjustable blade height of 1”-1.75” with scissor-action cut
- 14-in lawn mower blades made of heat-treated alloy steel that stays sharp for years and can be sharpened when...
- Planet-friendly alternative to a gas-powered push mower that does not require extensive maintenance, oil, or...
- Push lawnmower that is low maintenance, lightweight, and easy to use
This reel mower comes with a 4-blad reel and a 14-inch cutting width. The 8.5-inch polymer wheels ensure you get maximum maneuverability. In addition, you won't keep sharpening your blades as they will remain sharp for years.
This is thanks to the heat-treated alloy steel they are made from. This is the same as the other Great states reel mowers we've looked at above. The blade height can vary from 1 inch to 1.75 inches. The scissor action cut ensures you get a great-looking lawn after.
You do not need gas or electricity to work this reel mower. This also means that it is a very eco-friendly option.
7. Earthwise 16-Inch 7-Blade Push Reel LawnMower
- Hand-push reel mower with 16" cutting width, 7-blade ball bearing reel, and 10" composite wheels; Durable...
- Versatile Earthwise Power Tools by ALM push lawn mower for cutting bent grass- Bermuda, Zoysia, Centipede, St....
- Alloy steel 7-blade mower stays sharp longer
- A self-cutting mower with an adjustable cutting height of 0.5"-2.5" for clean and even cuts
- An planet-friendly alternative that matches the best gasoline push lawn mowers
Earthwise Power Tools are designed to be planet-conscious while still effectively meeting your outdoor needs. This reel mower is no different. Since 1895, the brand has created gardening cultivators, lawnmowers, and other essential gardening tools.
You can imagine how many years of experience those are. This means that you can expect their reel mowers to be of superior quality. The brand aims to lessen the carbon footprint from gardening activities. Their goal is to have a healthier and greener environment.
Their products also boast a low-maintenance design. You won't have much to do in the way of maintaining this reel mower. This 7-blade reel mower screams efficiency and will leave your grass looking and feeling healthy thanks to the precise scissor action. The classic design plus modern features mean that you'll have an effortless mowing experience.
8. Fiskars Staysharp Push Reel LawnMower
- The smart design of our eco-friendly reel mower offers a cleaner cut without the hassles of gasoline, oil,...
- A combination of advanced technologies make the StaySharp Reel Mower 30 percent easier to push than other reel...
- Patent-pending InertiaDrive Reel delivers 50 percent more cutting power to blast through twigs, weeds and...
Our final pick is this StaySharp Reel Mower that is just as good as the StaySharp max reel mower. Even without any fuel, you'll still experience state-of-the-art cutting performance with this reel mower. In addition, this best manual lawn mower boasts several great perks, such as offering 50% more cutting power than the typical reel mower.
This extra power is thanks to the InertiaDrive Reel. In addition, the StaySharp Cutting System eliminates the inconvenience of having to sharpen the blades every other time or every year. These innovative technologies make this reel mower more straightforward to push than most reel mowers.
You'll mow your lawn with so much less effort than before. You also won't struggle with any electric cords, batteries, or loud engine noises.
What Should You Consider When Getting Reel Lawn Mowers?
1. Width of LawnMower
We've seen different widths when it comes to the reel mowers above. When choosing the reel mower you want, consider the cutting width as this affects how efficient it is. Reel mowers that are between 14-20 inches are a good place to start.
We've selected reel mowers that'll give you the best service in terms of efficiency, durability, and affordability. If the cutting width is more expansive, the reel mower is more likely to cut grass faster. However, the larger the cutting width, the more energy you'll need to exert to push the mower.
If you don't mind the physical exercise, you can opt for the wider version.
2. Size of Lawn and Terrain
The best manual lawn mower works great on a small to medium-sized lawn. The smaller, the better. If your lawn is more significant than the standard small lawn, opt for a gas or electric mower. A mechanical lawn mower is great for a small area.
A flat lawn is the best to work on with this reel mower. Even if the cutting blades are made of heat-treated alloy steel, you still want to be able to finish your work effectively instead of depleting all your energy on the lawn.
Reel mowers weigh way less than the electric or gas ones, even if they come with multiple cutting blades. However, it can be exhausting to use a Greenworks reel lawnmower, a Fiskars Staysharp max reel mower on acres of lawn.
If you are working on sloping terrain, choose another type of lawnmower. Reel mowers feature small rear tires that aren't equipped to handle a sloping surface. Therefore, choose one of our great picks above only if you have a relatively flat lawn. You can read through the best reel mower reviews to see if your choice supports a sloping terrain or not.
When it comes to getting manual lawnmowers, you need to be prepared to push them yourself. However, the high-quality reel mower you'll choose from the above choices has some features to ease the process. For example, the cushioned handle protects your fingers and gives you an easier time.
A folding deck, adjustable height handles, and more are other features you should consider. These will significantly improve the experience. Suppose you can get one with a grass catcher, the better. Remember that the manual grass cutter blades require you to put in the effort.
The number of blades how effective your mower will be in cutting the grass. Other features like the grass catcher and adjustable blade height are cool. However, if you want a more efficient experience, get a manual mower with more blades.
However, just like with the cutting width, you'll need more physical exertion for the advanced reel mower with more blades. You'll need more energy to get the work done on the various grass types. Blade durability is also a factor to consider.
Before you settle on the mower you want, ensure you have the energy you'll need to get the work done and the type of grass. This will help you choose the correct number of steel blades. If your lawn has little grass that isn't stubborn, you can work with a mower with fewer grass blades.
5. Cutting Width Adjustments
Can you adjust the cutting width of your reel mower? Whether you are settling for the Fiskars Staysharp max reel mower or one of our picks above, ensure that you look at this feature. This will allow you to customize your cutting experience.
The recommended grass height is around 1/3 of an inch. If you go below this, you may be leaving your lawn susceptible to parasitic and disease invasion. From around 1-4 inches should be good.
What Are the Benefits of Using Manual Lawnmowers?
1. Healthy Lawn
A significant advantage of using a manual lawnmower is that your grass remains healthy and strong even after you've cut it. The clean-cut allows your grass to heal faster and continue to thrive. Unfortunately, for gas and electric mowers, you'll find that your grass is left more damaged.
2. Clean and Even Look
Another advantage is that the scissor-like cutting of the best manual lawn mower you're using leaves your lawn looking perfectly cut. You'll notice this after you use your mower for the first time.
3. Quiet Operation
You can comfortably mow your lawn in the middle of the night without waking your neighbors. Unlike gas-powered lawn mowers that often pollute the air with noise, especially when they're starting, the manual options are much much quieter.
Whether your mower has a grass catcher or not, using this manual option will allow you to use it too late or too early in the day.
These reel lawn mowers do not produce any greenhouse gases. So how happy will you be watching your clean-cut lawn knowing that you did it without emitting any emissions? Pick one of our reel lawn mowers above and find out.
You won't be forced to dig too deep into your pocket to get one of these babies. Even the most premium and expensive reel lawn mowers are cheaper than the power-based mowers.
In addition, you won't have to worry about maintenance costs. You get to have a healthy lawn, exercise a little, and produce zero emissions on a budget. Your usual home tools should be enough to maintain your push lawn mower.
6. Clipped Grass
Because these push lawn mowers don't leave the grass in big clumps, you can comfortably leave the grass clippings on the lawn. This will then allow the grass to become fertilizer for the growing grass. You won't be able to do this with the power-based mowers because you'll be leaving behind a compost heap that can be messy.
This might also save you money that you would otherwise use on commercial fertilizers. Therefore, in the end, it becomes a win-win situation. You will barely notice the scattered grass clippings.
Frequently Asked Questions About Manual Lawn Mowers
1. Is a manual lawnmower a good choice?
Yes, especially when you have a small or medium-sized lawn. Reel lawnmowers deliver a clean and even cut off the grass and leave your lawn looking and feeling strong and healthy. In addition, you won't have grass that's ripping or tearing after using one of these reel lawn mowers.
2. What's the difference between a manual mower and an automatic lawnmower?
A manual lawnmower requires you to put in the effort to push and direct the lawnmower. For an automatic lawnmower, you don't have to exert effort since the lawnmower will be driven by some fuel.