Riding lawn mowers are your typical lawn mowers but with a riding aspect to them. Developed to help maintain large gardens, riding lawn mowers have become a popular tool for avid gardening lovers. The effort previously used with manual lawn mowers has been dramatically reduced, and this has seen many people develop a great interest to acquire riding lawn mowers.
When considering buying a riding lawn mower, there are various aspects that you need to look into. You might need to go a little deeper than just the structural display of the machine. This will save you the hustle of buying a product that is below your standards and needs. Below, we review some of the factors that you might need to know when buying, and also bring forth the best-reviewed riding lawn mowers in the market.
Best riding lawn mowers in the market.
1.The RYOBI 42 in. 100 Ah Battery Electric Riding Zero Turn Mower.
This is a two battery-powered mower that will interest any person looking for a super-fast tool with cutting edge neatness. It is ideal for areas with a vast landscape, and it comes equipped with a lasting battery, which gives the worker the advantage of finishing his mowing on time before a recharge. This creates efficiency as it saves on the time taken. The zero-emissions are not only attractive but encourage its use as it has proven to be environmentally friendly.
It also comes with four brushless motors for superior power and performance that give it a competitive performance edge when compared to other riding lawn mowers in the market. Its 12 positions manual deck adjustment is also an added advantage when it comes to performance.
- This electric mower is easy to maintain. Giving it a suitable storage area and servicing will save you unnecessary future costs of replacement.
- It has a high cutting height, which makes it appropriate for different kinds of lawns.
- It comes equipped with four brushless motors, which give it relatively high performance.
- It has a quiet engine, which makes it very appropriate to be used even at night.
- It is highly-priced.
2. Husqvarna Z254F 23-HP V-twin Dual Hydrostatic 54-in Zero Turn Lawn Mower
- 23 HP Kawasaki engine provides reliable startups and a max speed of 6.5 MPH
- Hydrostatic, no-maintenance transmission is worry free, empowering the mower to take on a variety of cutting...
- ClearCut deck offers a best-in-class 54 in. cut and better bagging thanks to its deep deck design, superior...
- Clippings can be discharged, mulched or bagged (mulching kit and bagger attachment sold separately)
- Comfortable seat, ergonomic control panel and anti-slip foot area make mowing intuitive and safe
This mowing equipment comes accompanied by a powered 6.5-speed engine that allows it to mow fast. For individuals that want their lawns mowed perfectly, this is a very appropriate mower. It is MPH Hydrostatic, has a low-maintenance transmission, which empowers the mower to take on various cutting conditions. It's pivoting front wheels and lap bar handles allow this mower to travel up to 6.5 MPH.
It has a clear-cut deck that offers a best-in-class cut and better bagging thanks to its deep deck design, superior airflow, and high-performance blades. Its clippings can be discharged, mulched, or bagged (mulching kit and bagger attachment sold separately). It also has comfortable seats, an ergonomic control panel, and an anti-slip foot area, making mowing intuitive and safe.
- It has an impressive speed, which helps save on the time taken on the lawn. It has great power storage, which allows it to handle a lot of power before a recharge.
- Its spares are readily available. This is important as fixing mowers can be a tiresome task.
- This Husqvarna lawn mower is equipped with a control panel, which makes mowing safer than before. Its comfortable seat is also equipped with a seat belt for more safety.
- This Husqvarna lawn mower is expensive and a bit pricey to maintain.
3. Troy – Bilt 30 in. 6-speed Manual Drive Gas Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower
- Powered by a 382cc Auto Choke OHV engine with top forward speeds of 4.25 MPH and a 6-speed transmission
- The 30-Inch cutting deck featuring 5 adjustable settings couples the benefits of a standard riding mower with...
- Designed with an 18-Inch turning radius with 13x5-inch front wheels and 16x6.5-inch rear wheels
- Manual power take-off for fast and easy blade engagement
- This neighborhood mower is ideal for standard land owners with a medium sized landscape and relatively even...
This is one of the few affordable and super effective lawn mowers there is in the market. It is a 30 inches four-wheel mower with an engine capacity of 382cc. Its rear engine gives the driver an excellent clear rear view of the lawn, enabling them to have easy maneuvers. Its small size allows you to navigate obstacles in your yard.
This equipment is ideally built for flat surfaces. Its manual transmission has a relatively good speed that helps you maneuver around. It's equipped with a seat belt for the driver's seat and a comfortable, firm driver's seat for safety purposes.
- It is affordable compared to other lawn mowers in the market.
- Its small size enables you to save on storage space.
- It is easy to maintain and service.
- It does not work on sloppy fields as it is designed to work on flat surfaces.
4.Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Series Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower (Lt 42 In. 18 Hp)
The Cub Cadet is powered by a single 547cc engine equipped with Intellipower technology to create a consistent mowing performance for obstacles like wet and heavy terrain. This mower is ideal for large acres of land, more than 1.5 acres, preferably. The Cub Cadet is effective in turning around in the field and it comes with an optimized steering system to give a 16-inch turn radius a zero-turn feel. It also has a 42-inch stamped, 13- gauge, twin-blade deck with 12 cutting positions that give the riding lawn mower a competitive advantage.
- It is pretty affordable for anyone looking to have a heavy engine machine.
- It can easily navigate obstacles like wet terrain, wild plants, and tall grass and still provide magnificent results.
- It can cut in different positions with little or no effort.
- Its technology is very advanced hence being very efficient when at work.
- It is a bit bulky and may not be everyone's taste.
5.Snapper 360Z Zero Turn Lawn Mower
- The integrated rear cargo bed with a 50 pounds; Capacity makes this ztr more versatile than ever before; Plus,...
- The commercial style foot operated mower deck lift easily lifts and adjusts the mower deck between 13 height...
- A durable fabricated Steel mower deck for non stop mowing season after season. All fabricated decks come with...
- A fully welded Steel frame, thick walled front Axle, durable mower deck, and ball bearings in the caster...
- High performance 724cc Briggs & Stratton professional series with ready start engine makes sure your Zero...
This lawn mower has top notch features and is able to work in different functionalities. Unlike many lawn mowers in the market, it has features that have a commercial advantage that make sure that the mowing is done fast and with utmost precision.
- It has a heavy-duty mower deck, which makes mowing from time to time a walk in the park.
- It comes accompanied by an integrated rear cargo deck, which makes the zero-turning feature easy.
- Might have carburetor problems.
Factors to consider when getting a riding lawn mower.
A riding lawn mower is an expensive investment. Before deciding which to buy, it is essential to check that the lawn mower comes with a warranty. The warranty will be your security in case it fails due to mechanical problems outside your control. This cuts on costs for repairs or, in rare cases, an entire replacement. The more extended the warranty of the product, the longer the machine will be of service.
2.Location of the engine
The riding lawn mower's engine location will determine its power. The rear and zero turn lawn mowers have their engines at the rear, whereas the reactor lawn mowers have larger engines located at the front. They have more power and higher cutting ability.
It's good to check your lawn size because small lawns would work great with the rear engines. On the other hand, tractor lawn mowers would overcut your small yard and cause damage to it.
This will impact how fast a job is done. Individual preference for the speed of the lawn will vary from one person to another. Riding lawn mowers with higher horsepower will deliver results in a smaller time frame.
This greatly determines the lawn mower choice you make. Small yards with few obstacles will be easy to maneuver, and a small riding mower will do a good job. For large acres of land, a tractor lawn is heavier and will work great, especially when the field has obstacles.
Like any other moving equipment, riding lawnmowers have their fair share of accidents. You should consider the safety measures put in place by the different manufacturers before making a pick.
6.Cutting diameter of the mower blades.
Arguably, larger diameters of cutting blades will influence how wide the riding mower will be. Smaller riding lawn mowers usually have a smaller blade radius, which can reduce the work completed in a specific time period.
Safety precautions for riding lawn mowers.
Like any other moving equipment, there is a life hazard associated with a lawn mower. There have been incidents of people being toppled on by riding lawn mowers while working on lawns. On August 30th, 2004, a groundsman was working on a lawn close to the edge of a retaining wall when his mower accidentally hit a rock and fell over the cliff. The man died when the mower fell three feet down and landed on him. This is scary, but with the necessary precautions, it can be avoided.
As an employer, you should follow these set guidelines to ensure your employees' safety. Engage your employees in a safety program while issuing the guidelines on how to operate the riding mowers.
- The employer should check rollers equipped with roll-over protective structure (ROPS). The structures could be standard or optional.
- The employer should ensure all mowers are equipped with seat belts. This should be on all machines that have been equipped with ROPS.
- You should equip riding mowers with a control system that shuts off the blades when the worker dismounts the machine or gets off the seat.
- All riding lawn mowers should have interlocks that ensure that the engine only starts when turned on. This will avoid accidents when they start unexpectedly.
- You should conduct regular inspections and maintenance of your riding lawn mowers by some service personnel, at least on an annual basis. This should be done strictly by qualified personnel.
- Generally, keep the mowers in good condition as it will help avoid accidents from engine malfunctions.
The safety measure also includes the employee's participation. Employees should be trained to;
- Put on safety gear before handling the riding lawn mowers. This includes hearing aids and headgear, safety glasses, and safety boots.
- The riding lawn mower is not a vehicle, and it should not carry people on board. This puts the worker and the passengers' life at risk.
. Cease from dismounting or mounting a mower while its engine is running. The blades under the mower could cut the limbs off.
- Avoid all sudden stops when climbing up a hill or going downwards.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
How do I know which riding lawn mower to buy?
This question is so far the most commonly asked. The answer, however, varies from one person to the other. You will need to understand what features you are looking to find in a lawnmower, the type and requirements of your lawn, and the cost feature.
How much should I invest in a riding lawn mower?
This will depend on a customer's budget and lawn needs. Prepare to spend between $1500 to $3000 for a new lawn mower. The specific riding lawn mower type will heavily influence this. Rear engine lawn mowers are cheaper compared to the zero – turn and lawn tractors.
Am I allowed to try the different ride-on lawn mowers before purchase?
Absolutely! The salesperson should be able to grant you a demo when you ask for one. This will help you clear out any doubts you're having before purchase. This is also a great chance for you to ask questions on issues you did not understand about the specific riding lawn mower.
How do I maintain my riding lawn mower?
Maintenance for a riding lawn mower will determine how well it serves you. Keep your mower well serviced by a professional at all times. It is also essential to create enough storage room. Do not store it with hoarded clutter as dust and moisture will damage the mower's parts, which might be expensive to replace.
Doing a background check on the prospective riding lawn mower will weigh out your options if it is a worthy investment or not. All said and done, a lawn mower investment is worth taking, and if well maintained, it can prove to be one of the most critical investments an avid gardener ever made.