Lawn mower batteries play a huge role in the performance and efficiency of a lawn mower. The best lawn mower battery will not only improve the efficiency of the lawn tractors but also minimizes the hassle of replacing the batteries every now and then.
Who has the best lawn mower battery?
Buy on Amazon
Finding and buying a replacement battery for your lawn tractor can be a bit complicated and confusing. The best way to find the perfect battery for your lawn mower is to pay attention to the details about your lawn mower and what you're looking to achieve.
Keep reading for detailed information on how to find a lawn tractor battery that works best for you.
What is a Lawn Mower Battery?
A lawn mower battery, also known as a lawn tractor battery, is one of the internal components that enable a lawn mower to function properly. The best lawn tractor battery will often reduce the need to replace the batteries frequently.
Most lawn mowers come with batteries that are insufficient for a lawn mower working at peak efficiency. Over time, a need to replace these batteries arises. A high-quality lawn mower battery ensures the mower works at its peak efficiency and helps reduce the cost of replacing it.
Below is a list of the top-rated lawn mower battery reviews to help find the perfect one for you.
1. ExpertPower EXP12180 18Ah Lead Acid Battery
- Battery Type - 12 Volt 18 Amp 20 Hour Sealed Lead Acid Battery With nuts and bolts
- Rugged Construction - The High Impact Resistant Battery Case Is Made Up Of A Non-Conductive ABS Plastic. This...
- Genuine ExpertPower Battery - The Most Trusted And Highest Reviewed Sealed Lead Acid Batteries On Amazon
- AGM Tech - Utilizes Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Technology And Has A Wide Temperature Range
- User Friendly - Easy Installation With a Very Durable And Rugged Construction
ExpertPower is one of the most trusted and highly reviewed battery manufacturers in the market today. As one of the best lead-acid batteries, ExpertPower EXP12180 battery features a 12 volt, 18 Amp, and 20 hours sealed rechargeable battery, with bolts and nuts as well as a terminal type of T1.
This battery features a durable construction in a high-impact battery case that is made from a non-conductive ABS plastic with high resistance to vibration, chemicals, heat, and shocks. It is a well-constructed battery that promises a long life even when used heavily and in harsh environments.
The battery uses AGM technology to provide a wide temperature range and ensure it can operate in different environments. Furthermore, mounting or installing is quite easy. It measures 7.1 by 3 by 6.6 inches, has a weight of 12 pounds, and offers a one-year warranty.
2. Weize 35AH Battery Rechargeable SLA Deep Cycle AGM
- LFP1235/TL1235 Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Maintenance Free Battery, Size: 7.68 x 5.12 x 7.09 inches....
- Compatible with 24 Volt Electric Wheelchair, if Put 2 Battery in Series, It Could Get 24V Voltage.
- Depend on the Devices, It May Need to Put More Together to Get Enough Voltage or Capacity, to Used For...
- Replaces 31Ah 32Ah 33Ah 34Ah 36Ah MX-123 MX-12310 ES33-12 PS33-12D CSB GP12340 BP35-12 CLTXPA1235C TR35-12...
- With 30 Day Return Policy and 1 Year Warranty.
The Weize 12V 35AH Battery Rechargeable SLA Deep Cycle battery is made from a heavy-duty calcium and alloy grid to give exceptional performance and great service life. This battery has screws, however, with no wire mounting or harness.
This battery can be used for other equipment, but that will depend on the devices. You need to put more to have enough voltage or capacity that is used in lawn and garden tools, emergency lighting, medical equipment, solar panel wind energy storage, UPS, etc.
It uses absorbent glass mat technology that has a valve-regulated design that can be used in indoor and enclosed environments without spilling or leaking. This is a maintenance-free battery that gives a great performance and ensures your lawn tractor runs without interruption.
3. Universal Power Group 12V 35AH Battery
- Upg # D5722 Ub12350 12V 35ah
- Dimensions: 7.75 inches x 5.19 inches x 7.13 inches. Weight: 22.50 lbs
- Sla/agm maintenance free, spill proof battery
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position, resists shocks and vibration
- 1 year warranty
This 12V UB12350 lawn tractor battery is designed for John Deere lawn tractors or mowers, one of the industry's best lawn tractors. As one of the durable and best lawn tractor batteries, this user-friendly model comes with a good number of safety features.
It uses an AGM technology that provides stability, protects the battery from unexpected battery acid spills, and resists surges like vibration and shocks. It is also one of the maintenance-free lawn tractor batteries, reducing the amount of care needed to ensure the lawn mowers run safely for more time.
The 35 Amp-hours ensure long working hours. It comes with battery dimensions of 7.75 inches in length by 5.19 inches width by 7.13 inches height, a weight of 22.50 lbs, and a good warranty of 1 year.
4. Mighty Max Battery ML35-12 - 35AH U1 Deep Cycle
- ML35-12 SLA is a 12V 35AH Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) rechargeable maintenance free battery.
- Dimensions: 7.76 inches x 5.12 inches x 7.01 inches. Listing is for the Battery and Screws only. No wire...
- SLA / AGM spill proof battery has a characteristic of high discharge rate, wide operating temperatures, long...
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position, resists shocks and vibration. Long lasting high...
- Backed by a 30 day refund policy and full 1 year warranty.
The Mighty Max Battery ML35-12 - 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle boasts a sleek design that makes installation and portability a breeze. This lawn tractor battery is installed in any position, making it a great option for use in a wider range of vehicles.
It offers a high level of resistance to vibration and shock from intense and extensive use. In addition, this Mighty Max Battery is a spill-proof battery with wide operating temperatures, high discharge rate, deep discharge recover rate, long service life, and maintenance-free rechargeable battery.
This lawn tractor battery size is good enough, measuring 7.68 by 5.16 by 7.13 inches, with a weight of 23.15 lbs and a warranty of one year.
5. Chrome Battery Deep Cycle SLA Replacement Battery 1
- Battery type: 12 volt 35 amp hour sealed lead acid battery with T3 terminal is a rechargeable, SLA battery. 6....
- Versatile fit: this 12V 35AH battery fits in a variety of applications, ranging from alarm systems to mobile...
- Length: 7. 68 inch height: 6. 46 inch width: 5. 12 inch weight: 21. 71 lbs.
- Top technology: the acid inside is constructed with Absorbed glass mat technology allowing for a...
- Compatible with: Husqvarna YTH2448, Kubota Case John Deere Dixie Chopper Riding Mower, Voeller, Inc Model...
If you're in search of a versatile and easy-to-use lawn tractor battery, the Chrome Battery Deep Cycle SLA Replacement Battery is a great option. It provides compatibility with a huge range of electrical appliances like mobile scooters, household alarm systems, and lawn tractors.
It is one of the lead-acid batteries that features a 12-volt 35-amp hour sealed, and the T3 terminal is rechargeable. Additionally, the battery is constructed with a lead calcium alloy and won't require any charging before use. It is supplied when fully pre-charged, which means you can use it straight from the box.
This battery's other great features are low maintenance, easy and fast installation, a deep cycle lawn tractor battery, and ease to use. The lawn tractor battery measures 7.68-inch length by 5.12-inch width by 6.46-inch height, with a weight of 21.71 lbs and a warranty of 1 year.
Signs You Need A New Battery
If you're still wondering when you should replace your batteries, here are some signs you should look out for;
- Loses charge very fast
- Corroded terminals
- Starts very slow
- Wear and tear
- Cracked case
- Interlock issues
- Decrease in performance
What Do You Need To Consider Before Buying the Best Lawn Mower Battery?
1. Battery Capacity
The battery capacity indicated in an AH (Amp Hour) rating should never be ignored when choosing a lawn tractor battery. Ideally, the higher the AH rating, the better the capacity of the battery. Before picking a battery capacity, it is important to know how much power the mower or tractor needs. If you don't, you can always do a search online to find out the requirements of your tractor.
Voltage indicates the current flow in the batter and is used to determine the performance of the battery. In most cases, the ideal voltage of lawn mowers is 12 volts. However, with some models, the 6-volt battery is good enough, but if you're hoping for high performance, you can opt for special batteries that have 36 to 40 volts.
3. Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)
The CCA rating indicates the quantity that a mower can generate in 30 seconds, at 0°F and without going below 7.2 V. Generally, a higher rating would mean that the battery is capable of giving more power even when temperatures are low.
On the other hand, a lower CCA rating implies that it may be challenging to start the battery, especially in colder months. However, batteries with high CCA ratings tend to be pricier than those with lower ratings. Paying extra money for a higher CCA rating may not be necessary if you live in an area with a warm climate.
4. Material and Construction
While the construction quality depends on the battery manufacturer, you need to buy a battery that is made from durable materials for better longevity and performance. This is because a battery tends to pass through a lot from being content with shocks and vibrations as well as bumpy and uneven surfaces.
The material plays a huge role when it comes to construction quality, especially if you need to use the mower in cold weather. The heavy-duty and durable casing protects the internal components of the battery and reduces any chances of spillage. In addition, the outer casing should be made of high-quality materials like heavy-duty aluminum or metal plates for prolonged use.
Batteries that have lead plates need to be avoided because they tend to lose charge, which causes faster corrosion of the components in the battery. Nowadays, batteries have calcium plates that self-discharge, have no corrosion issues, and are less prone to vibration and vibrations.
If you're hoping to avoid spillages when the battery turns over, then you should consider gell cell batteries and absorbed glass mat technology. While batteries with high-quality construction will cost more, it is always the best lawn mower battery because it is less prone to damages.
The compatibility of the tractor compartment and your new battery is going to help you know if the perfect for you. If your new lawn mower battery is too small to fit in the mower's battery compartment, you might experience some overheating. When it's too big, it can restrict proper airflow in the compartment.
The height, width, and positioning of the battery compartment vary from one lawn tractor manufacturer to another. Therefore, it is also important to ensure that the connectors match the compartment thickness. Remember, if you force a battery into the compartment, it might cause irreparable damage.
6. Terminal Size
Another factor you need to consider is the terminal size since the length of the battery cables may impact the fitting. Generally, batteries are categorized into different groups based on their sizes and voltage. For example, the U1 group batteries are 8.3 inches long by 5.1 inches wide by 7.25 inches high. They have the positive terminals on the left side, while the U1R batteries have them on the right. Ensure you check the terminal position of the old battery before getting a new one.
While some models might be high maintenance, good-quality batteries have minimal to no maintenance. However, it would help if you kept an eye on the batteries when they sit for too long, especially during colder seasons. Here are some maintenance tips;
- Storage- During the colder months, remove the batteries and park the lawn tractor where it is not very cold.
- Follow a regular charging cycle to prolong the battery life
- Change the riding lawn mower battery when it doesn't start or charge fast
- Consider a battery that comes with a high reserve capacity which is the ability of the battery to function on its own.
8. Weather Resistance
A riding lawn and garden tractors tend to be exposed to harsh weather conditions since they are mostly used for outdoor activities. As a result, choose a battery that can withstand temperature changes and won't be affected by extreme weather conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Lawn Tractor Batteries
1. Can you recharge a dead lawn mower battery?
Yes, you can always recharge a dead lawn mower battery by connecting it to its charger. If you're unsure about the volt amount to set for your charge, you should consider 12 volts, which is the standard. However, if your batteries don't charge up after some time, then replacing batteries is recommended.
2. How long does a lawn mower battery last?
The durability of the batteries is dependent on how much you use them and the type of battery you choose. Many manufacturers claim that the life of the battery is based on the hours of usage. For example, some riding lawn mowers can last for three years, while others can go up to 10 years. Generally, most batteries will be recharged about 500 times before the need for battery replacement arises.