Electric lawn mowers are a great choice and pose many benefits over gas models. They are more environmentally friendly, require less maintenance, and are tend to be quieter in operation.
Deciding on the best electric push mower requires you to think about several things. First, you'll want to think about the style that's best for your needs. This is key, especially since there's a wide variety when selecting the best electric lawn mowers. You're likely to come across battery-powered mowers, self-propelled and corded lawn mowers. You'll also want to look at how much power they offer and if they cutting width is suitable for your lawn.
We reviewed the best electric lawn mowers and outlined factors to consider when choosing them.
What's An Electric Push Mower?
Electric push mowers are powered by an electric motor that powers a rotary blade. These electric lawn mowers can be both corded or cordless. Both models offer plenty of power to mow in contrast to gas-powered mowers under normal conditions. However, they are easily bogged down when mowing tall grass.
Below, we've discussed the best electric push mowers that feature powerful motors and assure you a neat yard.
What are the best electric lawn mowers?
Buy on Amazon
Best Electric Push Mowers
1. Greenworks Pro 80V 21 inch Cordless Push Lawn Mower
- NEVER STOP CUTTING. Up to 60 minutes of run time with 2 fully charged 2.0AH Battery
- 2.0Ah battery and charger included. Front wheels: 7 Inch
- Brushless motors are more reliable and delivers gas equivalent performance to a 160cc gas engine
- Smart Cut Load sensing technology
- 3-in-1 Mulch, rear bag, and side discharge
Highly rated, the Greenworks electric mower ranks as the best electric push for its cutting quality, low noise, and low maintenance.
The cordless lawn mower comes with two fully charged lithium-ion batteries. They are compatible with other G-MAX-powered lawn tools and can run for up to 60 minutes will power through nearly an acre of lawn provided by a full charge.
The cordless lawn mower turns on easily with a push-start button and boasts a generous 21-inch swath cut. In addition, it features the brand’s SmartCut technology, which senses when the grass becomes denser and speeds up the blades.
The cordless mower provides a 3-in-1system, allowing you to choose between mulching, bagging, or discharging the grass clippings. Finally, its large 7-inch front wheels and 10-inch rear wheels make it easy to mow and maneuver.
2. American Lawn Mower Company
- Electric lawn mower with a powerful 11-Amp motor to cut all types of grasses; High efficiency, yet...
- Corded electric lawn mower with a large 14" cutting width and 5 changeable cutting height adjustments from 1"...
- 2-in-1 rear discharge and mulching system that includes a hard-top 16 gal grass bag with grass level indicator...
- Corded lawn mower with adjustable handle height and position for easy and comfortable handling; Compact and...
- Lightweight and maneuverable; planet-friendly gas-free lawn mower
If on a budget, this is the best electric push mower to get.
The American Lawn Mower Company Corded Electric Lawn Mower is powered by an 11-Amp motor. This is sufficient for small yards, plus the electric lawn mower also has 14inch cutting width and five changeable cutting height adjustments from 1" to 2.5".
The electric lawn mower features a 2 in 1 discharge and mulching system that includes a hard-top 16 gal grass bag with a grass level indicator for easy disposal. What's better, at its price, you'll get a lot of power.
The corded lawn mower features an adjustable handle height and position for easy and comfortable handling. In addition, the mower has a compact and slim frame with foldable handles for easy storage and transport.
Lastly, the American Lawn Mower Company mower is lightweight and designed to be gas-free.
3. Sun Joe MJ401E-PRO Electric Lawn Mower
- Questions, Text 563563 to chat directly with a Sun Joe expert
- POWERFUL: 13-amp motor cuts a 14-inch wide path
- ADJUSTABLE DECK: Tailor cutting height with 3-position height control
- STEEL BLADES: Durable 14-Inch steel blade cuts with precision
- ACCESSORIES: Includes 10. 6-gal bag and discharge chute
This Sun Joe is the best electric push mower if you've got a small yard.
The electric lawn mower is powered by a 13 amp motor and has a compact design. This makes it easy to use and maneuver. It's relatively narrow, making it convenient to steer around tight landscaping elements like rocks or other obstacles that require more precision than a larger electric mower would.
The electric lawn mower features an adjustable deck with three-position height control. In addition, it has a steel blade that is designed to ensure to cut your grass with precision.
One of the critical features of this electric lawn mower, is that it requires you to press the safety lock button and simultaneously pull the "on" trigger to power it up. This reduces the chances of you starting the mower unintentionally.
Lastly, the Sun Joe mower is very lightweight, making it very comfortable to use. It's also best suited for those who have limited storage space. Plus, it comes with a 10.6 gal bag and discharge chute. ( For the Pro Version)
4. WORX WG751 40V Power Share 5.0 Ah 20" Lawn Mower
- [TWICE THE POWER] Our 20” 40V PowerShare mower comes with 2 rechargeable 20V 5.0Ah batteries that deliver...
- [20” STEEL CUTTING DECK] Steel makes all the difference. It lasts longer and performs better on undulating...
- [SAME BATTERY, EXPANDABLE POWER] Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools, outdoor power...
- [PREMIUM MULCHING] Mulching can get messy with plastic or aluminum cutting decks. With steel, it slides right...
- [COMPACT STORAGE] If room is tight, or you need to transport your mower, the one-touch fully foldable handle...
When it comes to battery-powered mowers, the Worx mower is ideal for those with small yards. It's a great little mower with lots of nicely designed features.
The battery-powered lawn mower comes with two rechargeable 20V 5.0Ah batteries that deliver 40V of rugged mowing power. In addition, Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools, outdoor power, and lifestyle products.
One of its key features is its steel deck. The steel deck is more durable and performs better on undulating terrain.
When it comes to safety, it has one of the best fold-forward handle locking mechanisms ever developed (a pair of orange levers at the top of the handle. In addition, the battery lawn mower comes with a bag that lifts and goes straight up and down, between the handlebars, and a neat little pivoting lever to close the back of the deck for mulching or to open it for bagging. It's also considered one of the better mulching cordless baggers out there.
5. Snapper 1687914 21" SP Walk Mower Kit
- Self propelled transmission with variable speed
- Up to 45 minutes run time with the Briggs & Stratton 82V Lithium ion 2.0Ah battery kit comes with (2) 2Ah...
- 21 inches steel mowing deck with 3 in 1 design mulch, bag or side discharge grass clippings easily
- Smart, efficient load sensing technology power adjusts to meet the demands of the cutting blades
- Push button start and a single lever, 7 position height of cut adjustment; Rear wheel size: 10 inch
Snapper's cordless self-propelled mower is the best electric push mower if looking for a powerful electric mower.
One of its crucial features is that it offers variable speed. In addition, the self-propelled lawn mower runs on a Briggs & Stratton 82V Lithium-ion 2.0Ah battery. The mower comes with 2Ah Lithium-ion batteries and a rapid charger. Each battery runs up to 45 minutes.
The Snapper self-propelled lawn mower features a 21 inches steel mowing deck with a 3 in 1 design mulch, bag, or side discharge for grass clippings.
In contrast to other electric mowers, its heavier, weighing at 80.9 pounds; however, the self-propulsion comes in handy.
Finally, the cordless mower features a push-button start and seven cutting heights, from 1⅜ inches to 3¾ inches, making it appropriate for most turf types. It's equipped with large 10-inch rear wheels and a grass-catching bag that fits on the back, with clippings discharging to either the side or the back.
Factors To Consider When Choosing The Best Electric Push Mower
a) Cordless or Corded
Electric lawn mowers today are mostly cordless and run on rechargeable lithium-ion batteries.
A battery-powered lawn mower has the advantage of convenience and portability. It can be taken anywhere a lawn needs cutting. However, the downside is that when the battery runs down, usually within 30 minutes to 2 hours, it requires recharging before mowing can resume. You have the option of investing in a second battery as it can double the operating time for cordless mowers.
With a corded electric mower, an electrical outlet provides more reliable power. In addition, corded mowers tend to be more affordable and weigh less since they lack batteries. The drawback is that you're limited to the extension cord’s length, normally 50 to 100 feet long. If considering the best electric corded mower, keep in mind it will require a heavy-duty extension cord; a 12-gauge or 14-gauge cord is ideal, Though it’s always important to check the owner’s manual.
b) Deck Size and Cutting Swath
The deck side refers to the width of a lawn mower's cutting swath. Essentially, the wider the swath ( the width of grass you can cut in a single pass), the fewer passes you'll have to make. In contrast, a wider swath requires power, which can mean a shorter battery life.
Electric mowers have an average swath width ranging from 13 to 22 inches for push and self-propelled mowers, 5 to 10 inches for robot mowers, and up to 54 inches for riding mowers.
If it's a small lawn, even a 15-inch swath width can get the job done without taking too much time. However, larger yards benefit from a broader swath width, so mowing them doesn’t take forever.
c) Motor Power
It's key to pay attention to the motor power when searching for the best electric lawn mowers. Lawn mower voltage is measured in volts and refers to how much energy the motor can handle.
Basically, the higher the voltage, the more energy is transferred from the battery or power outlet to the motor.
Larger lawns require the best electric lawn mowers with high voltage, as they need to produce ample torque to cut through tall and thick grass.
Generally, you can expect these voltage and coverage areas for electric lawn mowers:
- Self-propelled and riding mowers: 40 volts - 120 volts. This can roughly 1/4 acre to 3 acres
- Riding mowers: 50 volts - 120 volts can cover 1/2 acre to 3 acres)
- Push mowers: 18 volts - 80 volts can cover 1/4 acre to 2 acres)
- Robot mowers: 18 volts - 40 volts can cover 1/4 acre to 1 acre
Though it may seem ideal to choose an electric lawn mower, based on battery voltage, it's worth noting that this alone does not reflect motor power.
Another factor to consider is the amperage which determines how powerful the motor is. It is the rate at which electrical current is delivered to the lawn mower, often ranging from 6 to 12 amps.
An electric lawn mower's motor power is controlled by wattage (W), which equals volts multiplied by amps. Hence, a larger battery doesn’t always equate to a powerful mower. For instance, a 5-amp mower with a 60v battery (300W) is less powerful than a 7-amp mower with a 50v battery (350W).
d) Type of Mower
It's advisable to know the type of mower, you need since electric lawn mowers come in different forms, and each has its pros and cons.
- Push lawn mowers: These are walk-behind models that require manual effort to move the mower forward. They tend to be significantly less expensive compared to other electric mowers. They are best suited for small to medium-sized yards with even ground. The best electric push mower is likely to be a combination of compact design and power.
- Self-propelled lawnmower: It propels the wheels forward while cutting grass. A self-propelled mower is usually high-end and costs more than a push lawn mower. The tradeoff is convenience, and the reduced effort involved makes it more preferable for medium- to large-sized lawns and sloped terrain.
- Riding lawn mowers: These lawn mowers are heavy-duty and tend to be quite expensive. Different varieties fall under this category, including lawn tractors, zero-turn, and rear-engine mowers. In addition, the mower can be operated in a seated or standing position. Finally, the mowers feature the largest cutting width and terrain capabilities. In addition, they’re built to tackle large yards, navigate hills, and even steep slopes with ease.
- Robot lawn mowers: These electric mowers function autonomously and require the least amount of effort. They are high-tech models with many modern features, such as programmable mowing, app operation, and collision sensors. Robot mowers are less powerful compared to other mowers. However, they also have a shorter runtime and a limited cutting width, so they’re not ideal for large lawns.
Image Source: happysprout.com